Friday, February 11, 2011

Why I do this

Someone asked me yesterday about my butoh and movement practice. What does it really do for me? I immediately answered "it makes me feel human." It's an opportunity to express the human condition, emotions, and existence. I feel when all people watch performance--music, dance, theater, etc.-they can relate to it in some way. Music is emotional, just as movement and dance. The reason I love butoh so much is that it can go deeper on so many levels. There's expression and transformation happening simultaneously. There are breakthroughs within the work consciously and unconsciously/subconsciously.

I do this because I feel amazing after I do it. I feel connected to myself and those around me, who are either witnessing or dancing with me. I feel connected to those loved ones in my life, who are not on this earth anymore. I connect with the child I once was. I do this because I feel raw, human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment