Monday, February 7, 2011

Katsura Kan workshop Day #2-4

I definitely was transported into another dimension this weekend because I didn't even turn the computer on once all weekend! That's how wonderful this workshop was.

Day 2:

We did more walking, but graduated into a 20 second step. Kan had us close our eyes at one point. I was amazed how shaky my balance was, BUT I walked in a straight line the whole time. When I got to observe my partner during her turn, she walked straight up until a point then she became pigeon-toed and began turning to the right. I feel Kan wanted us to test our other senses, as we always rely on sight. It's a way to sense and feel your surroundings in a different, deeper way. We also did some group movement work, moving in figure 8's across the room. That was such a Brain Challenge, at first, it gave me a headache. I really didn't want to do any thinking in this workshop, but I realized that it's how Kan works, and he likes to challenge you.

Day 3:

This day (and day 4) was a longer day (5 hours). This was all about developing and learning choreography. Kan taught us a 16 count score of movement, and then we got to do it with a partner. Then we moved into two large groups, where each person would take turns being the leader and go through the choreography. It got more fun when he asked each of us to play with the tempo and put pauses within the choreography. Finally, each of us got to start and end with the original choreographed move, but in between we got to improvise anything we wanted. This really got our brains working to not only remember the score of movements, but to pay attention to each other and mirror each other's different movements. Even though we were doing the same thing, the quality was different. These exercises continued into Day 4.

Day 4:

We did a different score of movements this round. Then our partners watched us do the movement, then Kan would stop us at a different moment throughout the choreography. The "observing" partner would kind of fix our position such as turning the foot out more, looking up versus down, etc. Then partners would switch. The exercise I really loved was the "soft movement." Everything about your movement and expression had to have a soft quality. It was amazing to watch each group of 3-4 show their scores of soft movement. Our group ended up showing this in the student performance later that evening. We got great feedback from Kan and other students. Our group really sustained the quality of movement throughout the 5 or 8 minutes.

What was so amazing about this workshop overall was the feedback. How are you suppose to grow in your own work without feedback? How does anything develop? After I thanked Kan for the amazing workshop, he explained that it takes time, but the more you work with people, that's when things will develop. It was so refreshing to hear that, as well as have the experience I did. It all came together for me. As a soloist, it's hard to grow at times because you're the critic. This can be so isolating and monotonous at times. Although, in my own solo, I've always invited people to view my work in a rehearsal because I found myself wondering does this or that work? Am I doing the same thing over and over? Does the movement convey my ideas and concepts? But I reached a point where I was starving for a group dynamic.

I'm looking forward to exploring more in choreography and group-ensemble work. How everyone can be doing something different, but with the same quality. I discovered in this workshop that IT IS possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment